MS ProgramThe mission of the Medical Technology Innovation Masters Program is to create innovative device solutions to focused clinical problems through a cross-disciplinary collaboration. The program intends to directly effect improvement in patient care and outcomes while promoting a unique education in both clinical care and bioengineering design.
Clinical focus areas will include specialties such as:
- Cardiovascular Surgery
- General Surgery
Successful completion of the program will result in a Masters Degree in Biomedical Engineering. A unique feature of the program is an 8 week clinical practicum in which students directly observe various settings in clinical settings. Through this process, students will better understand the clinical environment, develop communication and observation skills and identify critical needs for further development.
The objectives of the full-time, one-year program are to provide a unique opportunity for the design fellow to:
- Identify specific areas of clinical needs in regards to both invasive and non-invasive diagnosis and treatments
- Formulate focused device solutions to these needs
- Assess the feasibility and effectiveness of potential solutions
- Plan and design device solution after vetting process
- Conduct preliminary testing and prototyping of device solution
- Consider options for further development of intellectual property for device, technique, and/or concept