The Center for Medical Technology & Innovation is proud to announce up to six tuition scholarship opportunities for students with interests in developing medical technologies that impact global health problems in low resource settings. ApiJectTM Medical Device Global Health Scholars will receive a $10,000 tuition scholarship in the Master’s Program in Medical Device Design offered through the Center for Medical Technology and Innovation in the Department of Biomedical Engineering at the University of Rochester. The ApiJectTM Medical Device Global Health Scholarship Program provides tuition support in addition a 45% tuition scholarship offered by the CMTI. The total tuition scholarship package is worth approximately $35,000!**
Responsibilities of ApiJectTM Medical Device Global Health Scholars:
- Participate in the CMTI MS summer program.
- Assist in development and implementation of a “create-a-thon” to foster a creative event to identify solutions to a critical problem in global health.
- Serve as a Teaching Assistant for the BME senior design program.
- Provide guidance for up to 2 BME senior design teams with projects related to global health or health care for diverse populations or low resource settings.
- Participate on a CMTI design team having a project focused on global health, challenges related to low resource settings and/or social equity.
- Develop teaching modules related to applications and challenges of global health for 1-2 core BME courses. This may include the creation of videos that can be distributed to highlight projects and students within the scholarship program.
Eligibility requirements: Applicants must be admitted to and participate in the CMTI MS program focused on medical device design within the Department of Biomedical Engineering at the University of Rochester. Applicants may apply for both the ApiJectTM Medical Device Global Health Scholarship Program and graduate admission to the M.S. program at the same time. Applicants are not required to be admitted into the graduate program before applying for this scholarship. All recipients must participate in the program during the 2022/23 academic year and remain in good academic standing. Recipients will not be permitted to defer admission or utilization of the scholarship to the following year. Awards are for one academic year only; winners cannot reapply in successive years. Recipients must be registered as full-time students while in the ApiJectTM Medical Device Global Health Scholarship Program and are not permitted to seek additional employment.
Non-Discrimination: No person is excluded from participation in, or denied the benefits of, the ApiJectTM Medical Device Global Health Scholarship program on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, or marital or family status.
Selection Process and Scholarship Requirements: The ApiJectTM Medical Device Global Health Scholars are selected from all the eligible candidates by members of the ApiJectTM Scholarship Committee. Awards are based on criteria set by the committee and include academic achievement, extra-curricular activities, community service and personal identification with global health issues.
- Application deadline: April 1st
- Application review: Week of April 3rd
- Recipient announcement: April 8th
- Recipient acceptance of award: April 14th
*ApiJectTM is helping pharmaceutical companies fill, finish, and deliver injectable medicines to more patients and markets with scalable, prefilled drug delivery systems. More information on ApiJectTM can be found here!
** Based on a $10,000 ApiJectTM Medical Device Global Health Scholarship and a 45% CMTI MS tuition scholarship (approximately worth $25,000 based on taking 30 credit hours and the published 2022-2023 tuition rates).